Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Family Portrait Day 1





Here is a treat, especially if you need a break from my "Bentleyville" painting. Here is a family portrait. I am working on a 9" x 12" canvas on a hand-built stretcher. This canvas has a really nice 1.5" profile. I stretched the canvas, then I wet it and let it dry. It tightens it up and gets any wrinkles out. Then I put some gesso on, sand it once, put more gesso on, sand it lightly. Then I paint. You could do as much sanding and gessoing as you want. The more you do it, the smoother your ground gets. I think twice is quite smooth enough.

This outside scene should be a nice change of pace from the dark interior of the Polish Club!

7 comments:

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

It's kind of creepy when they're faceless, isn't it. I bet that appeals to you on some level, :)

Unknown said...

LOL at PJ's comment. I am sure there is a sense of macabre when 1st starting out with faceless strangers. Good to see you back Julie...Or is it I that's been a stranger?

Rebecca Anthony said...

Wow, that certainly is a treat!! One that will be cherished for years. I cannot wait to see the progress of this one too!

Tina said...

Looking forward to seeing this one take shape! But PLEASE keep going with Bentleyville. I'm loving seeing it, just not always commenting.

Kass said...

I'm already drawn to the woman in blue with her arms held together.

Susan Anderson said...

Do you ever create these commercially? I would love to have you do one of my family's photo.

=)

PS. PJ's comment also cracked me up...

Paul E. Vagnoni said...

Wow! What a good-looking bunch! I can't wait to see more!