Friday, March 1, 2013

Sketchbook

 I've been working up a sketch based on some knowledge I've come across in a book of superstitions and folklore. It says that three spiders were worn about the neck in medieval through enlightenment times to cure an ague. It doesn't say that the spiders had to be dead, so that's what I've been running with. How would you wear three live spiders on your neck? The top sketch seems to have a very John Tenniel, Alice in Wonderland, flavor to it. The lower picture also has some fantastical neck stretching and even some bending. But so far, the upper picture is more interesting.
 "All Fours" is a game for entertaining children, in medieval times as now, where the adult gets on the floor and the children ride around on his or her back. I've tried to depict this in an exaggerated way. The adult looks pretty uncomfortable, but I think I could do better.

No comments: