Monday, January 26, 2009

Danse Macabre Embroidery



I bet you thought I forgot about my embroidery! Well, I didn't. Here it is about 1/3 of the way complete.

Lately, in my head, I've been thinking about the fine film "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover". I haven't seen it in many years, but I wouldn't mind giving it a gander. It's so opulent, quite the right sort of film for a painter. I think about the cook's philosophical observation. "Eating black food is like consuming death. It is like saying 'death, I am eating you.'"
I'm not sure why that tickles me so.
I sort of imagine a dinner party with strange guests, perhaps with beaklike faces, and the table is obscured with heaps of glistening black currants and berries on silver plates, olives, black caviar and dark, dark wine. Maybe I'll paint it someday.

No comments: