Monday, June 21, 2010

Reupholstering a Chair




I've tried several times to nail these wily decorative panels to the front of the arms, every time I try, even with a mallet, even by putting a flat surface over the front, even after reinforcing the inside shape with extra plywood, the nails pop through the top of the fabric. So I gave up and just sewed them onto the front of the arms. It was a very frustrating few days. I can only imagine the original carpenters put a metal strip inside to hammer on, and then removed it. But I only thought of that after I had sewed them on.



It is annoying to me that I can never take a good look at how the chair is progressing because it is always covered with lint! All the bits of stuffing keep migrating around. I guess it can't be helped. The under-cushion part of the seat, that wraps around the front edge is just laid on right now.
Already they are trying to sit on it.

9 comments:

5thsister said...

Frustrating though it may be, it is coming along quite nicely! Good job, Julie (Oh, I laughed at your Twin Peaks comment over at Jenny's place...LOL...Joe and I LOVED that show!)

janet said...

Wow...I'm impressed, Great job!

PS...the little guy is a cutie!

Kass said...

I think it looks wonderful. I love your choice of fabric. Your son seems to approve.

Tina said...

It's looking great! And what a cutie pie your boy is!

Betty (picture circa 1951) said...

I think you've done an amazing job so far. Keep going because it's going to be well worth it in the end.

Sue said...

I continue to be impressed by your resourcefulness. I need me summa dat.

=)

red-handed said...

Upholstering is ... the *worst*. Don't give up.

My name is PJ. said...

You are a magician!!!

GardenofDaisies said...

It's coming along so well!! Looks like you may have a new career ahead of you! :-)