Monday, April 25, 2011

The Three Anatomists





Proceeding in a somber palette. This painting is loosely based on a very blurry vintage photo of some medical students dissecting a corpse. I have taken the composition and am filling the faces in with inventions. Though I am inventing the portraits, I have paid a lot of attention to the faces of young anatomists and compared several photos. There is sometimes a look of fear, disgust, coldness, haughtiness.... a lot of visages you would associate with a postures of antagonism.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I do believe I demonstrated all those looks when dissecting the cadaver in my A&P class during college. I have every bit of confidence that you will be successful in conveying any or all of those expressions.

mrs. c said...

I think that you are capturing the true feeling of contempt. It was 86 degrees and sunshiny here today but I think we will get rain tomorrow.